Tuesday 28 October 2014

Picasso Art



I always found Picasso an interesting artist to study and read about. I conducted a research project on Picasso at my previous and original secondary institution in grade 9.I thought he was a bit odd and troubled, but I of all people have no right to even think that. I like Picasso's works and I know that this painting is Guernica. I know what the painting is about but putting aside my shared and personal knowledge of what the painting means, I will look at it as if seeing it for the first time in my life. I associate black and white with death and destruction (to an extent) and that is the main base of this painting. Picasso has made the faces and body parts distorted, painful and crowded- conveying feelings of hopelessness and the man to the far right is on his knees and the composition makes me think of beginning for mercy or praying for some tribulation to be over soon. Picasso uses deformed and mythical looking beasts of burden, to convey the horrors that are going on in the painting. He makes every living creature look terrorized in the painting. I find Guernica captivating and it presents quite a strong historical message as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment