Tuesday 28 October 2014

Mapping Emotions On The Body: Love Makes Us Warm All Over

Today I read the article Mapping Emotions On The Body: Love Makes Us Warm All Over. I found it moderately interesting to read. My favourite part of this article is the beginning, how it starts. "Close your eyes and imagine the last time you fell in love. Maybe you were walking next to your sweetheart in a park or staring into each other's eyes over a latte.Where did you feel the love? Perhaps you got butterflies in your stomach or your heart raced with excitement." The last time I felt like that I felt the butterflies, racing heartbeat, everything became alive, like the love map and similar to the happiness map. Everything felt warm, almost dizzying. This is a good example as Emotion As A Way of Knowing. My physical and emotional being tells me I love this individual.This person is my dear friend as well and they're one of the few who can make my day so that's probably why. I may be one of the few who can strongly feel  other emotions (?) in my arms. I feel fear, surprise and anxiety along with the expected anger map in my arms as well as other parts. In my mind these feelings are somewhat similar and connected, and I use my arms when expressing any form of discomfort or displeasure, I cannot control it. Emotions and feelings are a complex set of mechanisms-which I do not like to get into.  Most times I wish I could always feel neutral. That's the most stable "emotion" that one can feel while thinking clearly.
 People drew maps of body locations where they feel basic emotions (top row) and more complex ones (bottom row). Hot colors show regions that people say are stimulated during the emotion. Cool colors indicate deactivated areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment